Saturday, August 10, 2013

Miracles ..never mere coincidences .

We woke up to a beautiful bright sunny morning at Bali. After three days of sight-seeing  and adventure sports, decided just to stay back and bask in the beach .

Right from the moment we landed all of us felt so much at home ..what with the familiar Hindu god's sculptures here and there and the warm friendly smile of the locals.

Didn't realize we had spent the entire day at the beach with the children making sand castles and enjoying the low tide, while we relaxed with a book.

We could have easily bagged the "most -over-dressed " couple award at Bali beach if there were one!

It was five in the evening. We still didn't have the heart to get back to our room. S and  S decided they wanted to go cycling along the shores and went ahead hiring off-roader bikes for two hours.

We decided to follow them ,walking. What bliss, not knowing what to do! And it was a record of sorts without the Cell phones which we had left behind at the room.

After half an hour or so  we realized  we had lost sight of our bikers .. so sat perched on a rock and waited for them , assuming they would come back the same way . By now we had crossed our resort and were at the backyard of the next resort.,all the while enjoying the sprays from the sea and the lovely cool breeze.

Life couldn't have been better.

It was forty minutes past six PM. No sign of my children yet. Suddenly we realized something was not alright, and a chill ran through my spine. Didn't have the guts to verbalize what was going through in my mind.
In these two hours  they must have reached the end of the beach stretch and entered the Bali town ..A crowded market-place, where very few spoke very little English.

We had the same thought in mind and started walking briskly asking every passer-by from the opposite direction , if they saw two Indian children in bikes,with few words and lot of gestures. No one  seemed to have seen Indian Children ..and we were not sure if they understood what we were looking for ....

My husband asked me to wait there ,in the middle of nowhere and started walking faster ahead . By now it had become dark ..Seven  pm. I was totally blank and blinded too. There were very few walkers .. and a few Balinese Snack vendors selling seafood .

The beach, the sound of the waves all reminded me of my early growing up years at Pondicherry, and I thought of ' Mother ' to help protect my children and bring them back safe.

A few more passed by who just wouldn't get what I was trying to say .A group of young lads started teasing me if I knew to sing  'Chaiya chaiya ' . Harmless people, usually. But all alone with no one else in sight up to 50 yards either side sent chills down my spine. .

Saw someone who looked like an American coming from the opposite direction with earphones ... I thought this would be my last chance and stopped her and asked her if she saw 'two Indian kids ' ..all the while wondering if she knew English and whether she wouldn't mind being disturbed .

Much to my relief, she asked me in English why I was crying and asked if she could help?  That was the tipping point ..I didn't realize I was literally in tears all this while ( So used to crying all these years and not just shedding tears .Sigh )

I barely managed to tell her what had happened. And she dropped a bomb saying that she has been walking from the town end and hadn't seen any Indian kids.
My children lost.My husband gone behind them. I was on the beach side all alone with nothing to aid me ..no purse ..no phone ..the room keys with husband ..and the resort far behind for me to walk back alone .
It was 8 pm by now .
The kind soul who was god sent ..assured me she will stay with me till I find them all as if reading my mind pleading her to be with me and not go.

The dark beach looked a little scary now. The waves were angry ..The darkness isturbing . The same beach that looked so innocent and warm and beautiful ????

She put her arms around me and said "I am a mother too " ..Just when I had mentally surrendered to 'mother ' ( Pondicherry Aurobindo Ashram ) and started chanting my Buddhist prayer .

I am a mother too . These words still ring in my ears after Three years.

For a moment, I wanted to believe it was 'mothers' message to me. The lady suggested that we walk back to the resort .and take the help of the front desk or Police ..Not a mere coincidence that she was put up at the same resort as we were.

I had no option and thought it best to call the Police. ...So turned around and started walking along with her .. in Total Silence.

8.30 Pm .. Reached where I started so happily ..Life had turned upside down in a matter of two hrs.

I showed  the God sent 'mother ' where the kids had hired bikes by pointing to that place ..and I saw The two Indian Kids sitting quietly so close to each other and watching the Balinese Dance that was going on at the Seaside restaurant .

I just took a sprint ( PT Usha would have lost to me for sure ) and went to my Children. Who seemed okay till then, but started howling the moment they saw me. Nothing else mattered at that moment. And ever Since.

They became more precious than before.

"Where did you leave us and go ?" They spat out at me ..mmm. Why is it that everyone always asks me what I want actually to ask them ??


By now my husband had also reached back and saw me with the children.

And for the first time we saw him crying ..not the time to tease so reserved it for later )

The lady who gave me companyand strength in that hour of dire need - was watching all this with a smile and so very fondly said "there , that's a lovely family reunion " and told us  she is part of the Intel Delegation there and left .

I am not even sure if I appropriately thanked her ...with words. But for her  I would have been utterly devastated in the strange situation. Truly God sent. She is always in my prayers ever since along with all 'mothers '.

DH and I had lost the power to speak by then ..while we listened to our kids narrate they had taken a curve along the end of our resort and got back to the resort. Why ? Because they didn't want to pay fine returning the Bikes late .Phew !

While we had missed the curve and went on and on walking ...crying ..imagining all things that could go wrong ....

My children  even went to the room to check if we were there. Came back to where we would search for them and sat  . Wonder how they found the way to the room without getting lost in that huge resort.

Smart kids .
Foolish Parents .
Kind Souls.
God sent messages.
Happy moments .
Panicky moments .

Miracles ..never mere coincidences .



PS :
Would you blame my DH for those angry , hopeless look when I said , I would like to go along the same way and tell the person about "Chaiya chaiya" song !




6 comments:

RAJI MUTHUKRISHNAN said...

God is great.

Anton Dsilva said...

Must have been terrible for you at that time. I can only imagine. We lost Pranav once at Forum. We found him in matter of minutes at the security desk. But those 7-8 minutes are probably one of the worst in my life.

But without doubt your children keep you on your toes all the time :)

Viji Ganesh said...

Thank you Anton , Raji for leaving a comment and taking time to read.
It was one of those moments which was a tipping point for me spiritually . Nothing else matters at moments like that ...
Oh ,Yes ! We are quite a crazy bunch as a family !

Radha Natarajan said...

One of the best blogs I have come across ! Like book difficult to put down till I reach the last page I am not able to leave your blog . Hearty congratulations keep it up .

Radha Natarajan said...

One of the best blogs I have come across ! Like book difficult to put down till I reach the last page I am not able to leave your blog . Hearty congratulations keep it up .

Viji Ganesh said...

Thank you Radha. It means a lot to me coming from you - a food blogger with 800 plus recipes!I love your food blog and is my go to page on most days,to decide our menu !